Monday, January 14, 2008

Association and Misperception

At least once during a conversation I will experience intentional association(That's when your mind associates new information with existing information). To understand what some one is telling me or the world around me my mind will associate most of what I experience to movies or music. At first this seemed kind of comical, because I would use the dialogue or lyrics during my conversation. Most people don't even notice, but sometimes people will get my obscure references. I realized this was a problem when I was talking to my wife and instead of explaining myself with my own words I just said, "You remember that scene from Good Will Hunting where they are sitting by the pond?"
"Yes"
"It's like that"
And that was the end of the conversation for me. I think using movies and music as a filter for my world view may be the causing me to some misperceptions.

No comments: