Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Debriefing

Summary:

We just got back from a 2 week tour of the Middle East. The trip went rather smoothly with only a few minor hiccups along the way. We had a lot planned and the trip was incredibly tiring especially with a two year old, but he was better than expected.


Egypt: Cairo

Impressions: The city was dirty and crowded. The people were rude and pushy. The feeling I got from the majority of the people that I met as tourist, was I owed them something just for going to their country and that I was obligated to give them money for doing nothing, because our economy is so much better.

Highlights: Pyramids, Sphynx, Calvin throwing up on Celine, and seeing mummies that are thousands of years old.

Low Lights: Cleaning up Clavin's throw up and the zoo with abused animals.


Jordan: Amman and Petra

Impressions: Much cleaner than Cairo and the hospitality was a little better as well. It was amazing standing in the place where so much history had taken place, but I became overjoyed when I thought about how I was standing in the very same spot where Harrison Ford and Steven Speilberg filmed Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Highlights: Riding a Camel, Donkey, hiking, and seeing "The Monastery"

Low Lights: Exahustion from carrying Calvin, having to take a poo while hiking.


Israel:

Impression: The country seems very modern and western except for the Palestinian areas. The people were very pleasent and nice. You get a sense that the country is bigger than it actually is. I never got used to seeing teenage girls carrying machine guns. (men and women have an obligatory military service)

Highlights: Going in the Red Sea, Dead Sea, Mediteranean Sea, and Sea of Galilee. Visiting all the historical sights.

Low Lights: Not enough time to see everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds intense i'm jealous
phillyz