Friday, February 29, 2008

The Invisible Enemy

"I am not a germ-a-phob - I just hate being sick."
You may disagree with this statment after you read this blog.

Quick Tips On How To Avoid Germs:
1. Doors Knobs: Door knobs have to be one of the dirtiest objects you touch everyday. To avoid this germ filled object try the following: use your shirt or coat sleeve to open the door, wait for someone else to open the door (especially at a public bathroom), open the door by touching a place that most people won't touch, use an object you are carrying to open the door.
2. Toilets: Never flush the toilet at a public bathroom, or if you want to be a good citizen use a peice of toilet paper to flush or your trusty foot.
3. Shaking Hands: I really don't like shaking people's hands, because - one: I have to touch someone and two: I don't know where their hands have been. I loved living in Thailand, because everyone bowed to each other to say hello. To avoid hand shaking, keep your hands in your pocket, wave high before the person gets close enough to shake, or give the old head nod as a greeting.
4. Your Germs: Don't bite your teeth, pick your nose, or eat without washing your hands.
5. Money: Avoid cash and use a credit card.
6. Spouse: Don't go near your spouse when they are sick, don't kiss or hug them and I would even suggest sleeping in a different bed until they get better.
7. Prevention: Take vitmains, sleep more, and carry hand sanitizer and wet wipes.

These techniques can be used other places as well:

  • use an object or shirt sleeve to push the elevetor button or to turn on a light
  • use other parts of your body or clothing to touch dirty things - your elbows and feet are great for this

Above all things, remember to avoid people as much as possible. You might think avoiding your spouse is difficult, but with practice you can go long periods without coming in contact with them. Remeber the germ is no respector of persons.

1 comment:

phillyz said...

i completely agree, people are nasty and don't care. one of my students shook my hand the other day and it was clammy. i would like to add if possible hang out and wait for someone else to open the door and slip out after them.