Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pain In My Ear

We had two snow days last week, but I had an ear infection, so it totally ruined it. My ear infection was the third most painful experience of my life. It was so infected I couldn't walk on my own for a couple of days. It also ruined my weekend, because I wasn't better until Monday.

Here is how it went down:

Tuesday I woke up and my ear hurt a little. By mid-morning it was hurting bad I went to the hospital and they gave me antibiotics, 2 ear drops, and a pain killer

Tuesday night through Friday night I did not sleep more than 2 hours at a time and had to make a choice between being in unbearable pain or taking the pain killer which caused me stomach pains and a cold sweat.

Friday night I went to an ear specialist. He sat me down in the chair and put a camera in my ear, and I could see the inside of my ear on the monitor. My ear canal was covered with mucus and seeing it magnified on the screen almost made it all worth it. If I had that machine at my house I would look in my ear every night. The doctor then cleaned out the mucus and put a spounge thing in my ear. The docotr also told me to stop taking the medication I was on and gave me different antibiotics, ear drops, and pain killers. I spent the next four hours trying to find a pharmacy that was open. The pain in my ear got so bad at one point I was leaning against a metal pole in the side walk drooling. People were walking past me giving me the strangest looks. The pain eased up and I went to get something to eat, but could only get a few bites down, because my jaw hurt so bad. After I ate, I took the pain killer and felt right as rain. I made it home and slept for the next 2 days, and I am back at work now. It still sounds like I am under water, but at least the pain is gone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon. Getting sick like that sucks the big one!

phillyz said...

other than getting my wisdom teeth out i think ear aches have always been the worst pain.

Lou said...

you dont know pain until you have been stung by a man-o-war

The Donkey said...

you don't know pain until...uh...you have been to Hawaii and then bought a ticket to Japan to see Beck in concert and then you found out you didn't have enough money to pay rent