Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The War to End All Questions!

I spent the last two weeks on vacation. I spent 99% of that time with my wife and son. Spending that much time with someone, no matter who it is, can be exhausting and frustrating - especially if you have an enormous list of pet peeves. One of my pet peeves is constant questioning.

Celine will constantally ask me questions. Here are some true examples...

  1. Should I brush my teeth tonight?

  2. Should I wear these shoes?

  3. Should I make ziti or angle hair pasta?
The reasons excessive questions bother me are...
  1. The person already knows the right answer (Of course I think you should brush your teeth and you know you should)
  2. They know I do not know the answer (how should I know what shoes you should wear. I don't know how they feel and I can't tell what matches, so wear whatever shoes you want)
  3. The answer is ignored anyway (after being brow beaten for an answer you choose the opposite of what I say)
  4. The answer is insignificant. (It does not matter what pasta you make so just throw whatever in the pot so we can eat)
Day to day questioning I can deal with, but ALL day EVERY day questioning about everything is too much. Some examples from the trip...
  1. Should I make this right turn? (This question was asked at 50 mph as the turn was passing)

  2. Should we bring the backpack for Calvin? (I say yes she decides to leave it in the car)

  3. Should I take a shower?

  4. Should we park in this spot?

  5. Should we stop here or keep going?

  6. When should we go back?
During the trip I told Celine all these questions were too much, and I said, "You don't listen to my answers or I can't answer them fast enough before you make a decision." Then, I requested that she stop asking so many questions. She responded by getting mad and then telling me she was not expecting me to answer the question, it just helped her sort things out mentally somehow. So I asked what I was suppposed to say and she said, "Just say nothing." So the next few times she asked questions I was silent to which she responded by repeating the questions louder until I answered.

I will keep you up to date on any advances I make in the War to End All Questions.


I am fighting a similar battle - The Battle to Stop Unecessary Notifications:

Example:
Celine: "I am going to the bathroom"

Me: "Ok I am going to sit here and keep breathing"

5 comments:

c.marie said...

you mean your unecessary notification about sitting and breathing, right?

Anonymous said...

i hear ya bro we all gotta deal with this kind of thing. my suggestions always give ubsurd responses until the questions stop or just blurt out an answer before the queston is completed
phillyz

Lord Baldemort said...

I've got a question you already know the answer to, "Who's got a creepy weasel mustache?"

Anonymous said...

that post made me laugh. you guys always amuse me.

Lou said...

you stupid man, thats just male female dynamics, it has been this way im sure since adam and eve "which leaf do you think I should wear?" and it will never, ever change