Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hindi!!!


Hindi means "turkey" in Turkish...

The bus to the grocery store left without me the other day, so I had to walk 40 minutes to the supermarket. When I got there I was all pumped up from the walk and in a bad mood. I walked over to the poultry section and tried to look for turkey (the meat). I noticed a worker, so I decided to try out my Turkish. He was bent down, so I leaned over in his ear and screamed "Nerede hindi?" (Where is the Turkey) I am not sure why I thought I had to scream for him to understand me, like I said, my brain was not functioning properly because of the adrenaline. He then looks at me and in English says, "Yes, some time we have turkey." Because he did not show me where it was I assumed he didn't know what I was saying, so I say even louder and very slowly "Turkey, I need turkey," and then I said, "TUR-KEY" and pointed to my shopping list with the word "hinidi" on it. He then says "Yes, hindi means turkey in Turkish."

I then realize what I am doing, move away and speak in a normal voice and ask him to show me where the turkey is. He then points right in front of my face, at the turkey. I thank him and walk away. After a few steps, I was confronted with a staggering and horrible realization...I am one of those people.

No comments: