Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Harrison H. C.

As most of you know, Harrison Hobbes was born the other day. I want to give my version of what happened, because know doubt there are rumors and false accusations flying around out there.


Whats with the name?

He is only named after one of the most awesome men in film history and named after a family friend who my siblings and I look up to. Hobbes is from the cartoon and hopefully this will inspire Harrison to act in the same fashion as Hobbes from the cartoon. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Calvin and Hobbes, Hobbes is Calvin's stuffed tiger that he pretends is real. Hobbes' role is Calvin playmate, but more importantly he is like Calvin's conscience. So I am hoping Harrison will be able to guide and talk Calvin out of the crazy schemes Calvin will no doubt come up with.


How did it all go down?

3:00 am Celine starts to have contractions. Thankfully she didn't wake me up. I needed my energy for the day ahead.

3:30am I hear grunting or moaning and decide to roll over and fall back to sleep.

5:00am Celine wakes up with Calvin because it was her turn.


8:00 am I wake up and she tells me she is having contractions. After interrogating her I decided this is probably the real deal.

8:12 am I go in to work to tell them I will be out the rest of the week.

9:00-12:00 I play video games while Celine naps and Lindsey brings Calvin out to play with his friends.

2:00 pm We get a cab and go to the Hospital.

2:30 pm We get to the doctor's office. The doctor had a nurse hook Celine up to a machine to decipher if she is in fact in labor. I think the doctor thought Celine wasn't really in labor because she was laughing and joking with the doctor on the phone before we went in. The doctor looks at the results and then decided she is in fact in labor and we are admitted.

3:00-4:00 pm I read my book while Celine works on getting Harrison closer to coming out.

4:30 pm Sensing that Harrison will be arriving soon I run up to the cafe to grab dinner. I brought a snickers bar for dessert, but somebody else ate it.

5:45 pm Celine starts having strong contractions.

6:15 pm The doctor comes in. The doctor asks if she wants pain medicine, then decides the medicine will not take effect before the baby is born -- so, too late! They try to put Celine's legs in these medieval stirrups, but Celine wasn't having it and proclaimed, "No. No. my legs don't want to go that way." The doctor and Celine had a discussion about it and Celine won.

6:20 pm The doctor gives Celine some encouragement on her first push and says, "Come on now. Deliver this baby."

6:30 pm A couple pushes later and Harrison's head pops out and the doctor pulls him the rest of the way.


My first reaction:
He was crazy purple.


I think Celine's birth will go down as legend in the hospital. Most of the women here have scheduled C-sections and the others get pain medication.


7:30 pm Celine starts nursing Harrison.

The next day:

2:30 pm We leave 24 hours from when we arrived. We went home so early, because Harrison didn't get circumcised.


Celine and Harrison are doing well and Calvin routinely informs me the baby is, "Sooo Cute" and that he is "My baby."


Fun Fact:
Harrison was born on November 10th which is Ataturk Remembrance Day. Ataturk was the war hero and the founder of the Turkish Republic bringing stability, leadership, and some form of liberties to Turkey. Calvin was born on January 16th it was Martin Luther King Jr Remembrance Day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you leave the boy with an anteater? And what family friend do you speak of?

Ryan said...

can't wait to see calvin and hobbes. are you calling him harrison or hobbes?

The Donkey said...

the only thing that is disturbing is the fact that this kid has a hood, not a helmet. come on man, think of the boy

Recondo said...

We will call him Harris, but feel free to call him Hobbes or Harris. He will lose his hood when we get back.

phillyz said...

i know everyone always says that babies are cute and many times they are lying especially about new borns. i have always thought new borns are funny looking, having said that I truly think this is one of the best looking new borns i have ever seen at least from the waist up

Eoylston said...

I agree with Phil, the little guy is very cute. Congratulations guys.

Dave said...

it must be hard to compete with celine's toughness. you may have to start ultimate fighting.

Anonymous said...

enjoyed the husband's view, and the ending paragraph - thank you Pete