I have decided to share some battles from my past:
When we were younger and started to watch more adult shows my parents would try to restrict what we watched. This was a constant battle over the years, but there was one show the we, as kids, fought long and hard to watch, and we finally won. That was - The Battle for the Simpsons.
When the Simpsons first came out, I don't think my parents knew what it was all about. I assume they thought it was a cartoon, so it must be "ok," but I remember after watching it as a family one Sunday night my parents told us we could not watch it.
This was a big problem, because after the first show we were all addicted. It became a ritual where we would sit down in the family room and wait for the show to come on. When it started you saw the Simpsons name appear through clouds along with the sweetest sound. In a chorus of voices would say "The Siiimpso...ns." After the first few shows we would wait in anticipation and my oldest brother would say, "Ok. Be quiet, it's on." We would be silent and my brother would sing, "The" and we would allow follow with "Simpsons."
We would watch the opening credits, making sure we saw what Bart had to write on the chalk board this episode, and then we would be tricked by Maggy driving car and the finale of the opening would be to see which way they all ended up on the couch.
My parents were offended and insulted by what the Simpons represented and the content that was being put in a cartoon on TV on Sunday.
They would come up with different rules and tactics, but we stayed united and had a strong front. We knew this was a battle that we would fight to the death. Eventually my parents backed off and an agreement was made. We could watch the Simpsons, but we could not watch "Married with Children," which my parents still despise and if I watched it with my mother now I am sure she would still say, "Turn this filth off."
Now, a generation later, I am watching the Simpsons with my son most nights. We have a routine too. We curl up on the coach with popcorn and milk and watch an episode. I watch it now and wonder what all the fuss was about. I feel the Simpsons is a witty comedy that captures the American family especially the way it was at the time the show started. It often provides important life lessons, and while sometimes crude, it never gets too bad. I, however, do not agree with some of the racial comments that are made, but maybe that kind of humor will help break down barriers?
I now find myself viewing some of the new shows that are out and I am responding with, "Who would watch that filth?" You know all those cartoons and other inappropriate shows that are out on network and cable TV now.
I wonder what will happen when my children want to watch those shows. Who will win? Am I just too old, or have the newer shows really gone too far?
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
The Simpsons
Labels:
Battles From the Past
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Of course newer shows have gone too far. Family Guy is a little too much for me, and I would never let my kids watch that. The Simpsons was a bit on the edge when it came out, but on the edge meant hearing Bart say, "Eat me shorts." That's a joke compared to what is said now. You also forgot to mention that we would try and watch In Living Color after The Simpsons. That was banned as well, but sometimes we could sneak it in.
Post a Comment