Celine and I have been together for a long time and in the 10 years or so we have been exchanging presents I have been let down more often then not. When we were first dating I didn't care what or if she got me anything. Then after we were married I figured she would start investing more time, money, and thought into getting me good presents.
As most couples know the occasions for presents multiplies as the years pass...Christmas, Birthday's, Anniversaries, Father's day, Valentines Day, and some people will celebrate additional days with gifts.(Easter, other anniversaries, etc.)
I am not expecting a great present for each holiday or occasion. In fact when we first started dating I told Celine that I would never celebrate Valentines Day and we never have. For Father's Day I told her we would just encourage the kids to get make or get a small thoughtful gift, but that we would not purchase anything for each other. I also said that it would be nice if we built some traditions into the holiday's, so we agreed to make breakfast with the kids for Father's Day and Mother's Day. For our anniversary instead of exchanging gifts we would go out to eat or away for the weekend.
We only get gifts for Birthday's and Christmas. I decided on my own that I would get Celine a thoughtful gift on Christmas and a fun gift for her birthday.
I expected the same courtesy in return. I don't think it is too much to ask for. She has all year to think about two items to get me that would make me happy.
I fool myself every year into thinking this is the year that she will change and I will find a nice thoughtful gift for me under the tree or on my birthday.
Battle's Lost:
1. Last Father's Day she forgot to make me breakfast or have Calvin make anything for me
2. One time she forgot my birthday until a friend wished me a happy birthday in front of her
3. She will only get me one present and say it is for Christmas and my Birthday. (My Birthday is a week after Christmas)
4. Gift cards that I get from other people get used when I am not around
5. Received a present that benefited her more then me. Tickets, meals, vacations, appliances
Battle Strategies used so far
1. Dropping hints: I have dropped tons of hints through out the year, of presents I want
2. Offer to buy my own: I have told her I would purchase my own gift, but that was shot down
3. Had a talk: I have actually sat down and had many conversations with her over the years about this
As Christmas approaches and my Birthday is coming I am anticipating another let down. Even though she will most likely read this blog I am confident it will not change a thing.
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Fight For a Good Present
Labels:
Battles From the Home Front
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
too true...christmas and your birthday will probably two more very sad days this year -- for you and me. It seems even when I do get gifts that I thought were well thought out they are never accepted in such a way.
gifts I did get that were successful, but were never accepted as such:
1. small DVD player
2. anniversary trip planned to new hope, pa and surrounding area
3. netflix (and then a switch to blockbuster when requested)
gifts that were accepted as "fair":
1. a pair of slippers that are still in use today
2. his first sword "wasn't used in battle"
3. a storm trooper helmet that I was told was "given at the wrong time" because it was in front of people
gifts that were accepted graciously and thoroughly appreciated:
none
what am I left to do but make these days miserable for him?
Post a Comment