Monday, March 17, 2008

The Fight For Food

While growing up, food was guarded with a bitter fierceness. If you purchased food, you put your name on it and hid it so it wouldn't be taken. If our parents bought any treats, we would get as much as we could and squirrel it away somewhere. A few years ago, when I was still living with my dad and brothers, I still had to guard my stash. One of my brothers thought he was tricky by drinking some of my chocolate milk and replacing the amount he drank with regular milk. I busted him after a few days, becaues he got greedy and drank too much. That milk cost him dearly.

Being married, I thought my days of food hoarding were over. After a while I realized that was not the case. I know that we are married and everything is 50 50, but we still need our own possessions. I don't mind sharing I just mind stealing.

Exhibit A: I will ask my wife if she wants anything from the store, and she replies "no." So I go to the store and buy the grocieries, adding individual items I want i.e. soda, chips, candy. Since she said she didn't want anything, I get small portions because I thought I would be the only one eating them. After I bring the food home, I notice that my stash would running out fast. I then notice that my wife had been eating all my food. I ask why she didn't ask me to pick her up some treats, and there is no coherent explanation.

Exibit B: After I catch on to this - I buy twice as many treats knowing my wife will still eat them. The result is my wife eats the food twice as fast as I do.

Exhibit C: I buy seperate items i.e. Two cans of soda -one for each instead of a bottle. If I don't drink mine fast enough, she will drink it. When I confront her, she laughs. I guess I will have to start hiding my food again.

Xibit:

5 comments:

Leslie Chang said...

haha, brian and i do the same thing. i just learned to buy the foods he disliked and bought lots of them so that he doesn't go into my stash. haha.

Brittany said...

Hmmm, this is very interesting. I too remember the days of hoarding. It was very strange. I felt like I had to rush to kitchen, ransack the bags of groceries, find the treats, and eat them right then. I felt like a binge eater without the barfing. But the thing that stood out most in your story was guarding your stash. I constantly have to guard my stash or stash-less men (and sometimes women) will covet my stash. It's tricky business.

Brittany said...

Mustache that is.

phillyz said...

do you have this problem too "i'm getting some ice cream do want any?" "no, i'm fine" when i get back with my perfectly portioned bowl- "can i have a bite?" which turns into 6 or 7 and i find myself getting a new bowl of ice cream

Brittany said...

I heard complain about this before. Do what Pete does, DUH! Get her a bowl too and you become a hero. She will say, "Oh, Phil, you read my mind. You know me so well. You love me so much." And it will all end in a smooch.